What is Coaching?
Coaching is an ongoing collaborative process between the coach and the client aimed at supporting the client to optimise their potential and transform their own life. A professional coach helps clients in the moment to focus on the future by supporting the client to identify any blocks in the way of their success and to implement strategies for overcoming these.
Change can only occur where the client feels empowered to take action and this is also where a coach can be invaluable in supporting and encouraging the client.
Benefits of Coaching
The personal benefits of coaching are as wide-ranging as the individuals involved. Numerous clients report that coaching positively impacted their careers as well as their lives by helping them to:
- Establish and take action towards achieving goals
- Become more self-reliant
- Gain more job and life satisfaction
- Contribute more effectively to the team and the organization
- Take greater responsibility and accountability for actions and commitments
- Work more easily and productively with others (boss, direct reports, peers)
- Communicate more effectively
(source: Ken Blanchard Companies)
The international Coach Federation (ICF) has provided a number of studies showing that coaching usually generates a Return on Investment (ROI) of between $4 and $8 for every dollar invested.
Coaching in organization and leadership environments is also invaluable for developing people across a wide range of needs. The benefits of coaching include;
- 80% of people who receive coaching report increased self-confidence
- Over 70% benefit from improved work performance, relationships, and more effective communication skills.
- 86% of companies report that they recouped their investment on coaching and more
(source: ICF 2009)